Friday, March 10, 2017

Spot the Crop A Lot - Off the Wall Friday

Lesson 4's Hard & Soft's Edges Piece - this one is gong on MY wall!!




(Please excuse the post's title - its my homage to Dr. Suess who celebrated a birthday this week!)

Sooooooooooo .. . .  .  . we're onto Lesson 5 where Katie P-M's  wants us to study cropping a photo to find the interesting spots.  If you've been reading, I love to edit me a photo!  I mean, am I the only one that thinks all these little photo editing app's are a gift from God?  You can take your favorite inspiration photo - crop it - manipulate it - and then use that to guide you into your next masterpiece.  In fact, sometimes you can totally manipulate it so much that the original subject is barely recognizable!  How cool is THAT?!

For this lesson though I didn't want to get all excited with just little bits of interesting photos.  I decided I wanted to explore my fascination with vintage neon signs.  Now there is nothing I would like more than to drive around the country collecting photos of signs, but since a girl has to work for a living, I relied on Pinterest for inspiration.  Obviously, I'm not the only one who sees the charm in these bits of the past!

Katie reminded us that as we were cropping, not to forget the lessons on composition we learned in the last two months!  So I studied many, many signs.  AND I cropped many, many, signs.  I'm not ashamed that maybe, I got a little carried away!!  I finally had to narrow it down to handful so that I could finally choose 1 to do!!

I wanted to share them with you - so you could give your advice on which one you think is the most interesting!!
So which would you choose???

What Have You Been Up to Creatively? 



12 comments:

ES said...

Stardust motel is my fav!! I love love love your red boat!!! It definitely needs to go up on your wall!!

sonja said...

Yes red boat floats my imagination!! Stardust!!

ES said...

I have just added two new blogs to my list of followed blogs on bloglovin, I found them on your blog list! Thanks for that :)

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I love the Bowling sign. I would crop a bit further even. There is a photo hanging in my local Dairy Queen that is severely cropped. All you see is the "iry Que". You know instantly it is Dairy Queen (I think it would be obvious even not in a Dairy Queen restaurant! I have always found that intriguing, things that you can crop severely and STILL know what it is.

The Inside Stori said...

LOVE your new piece from lesson 4!!!

Susan Lenz said...

I agree that you boat is wonderful ... and that the motel sign should be next!
Susan

Shannon said...

I love your piece with the boat! That red is so vibrant!

Claire said...

Yreka Motel, please.

Amy Art Quilter & Fyber Cafe said...

I like the Bowl sign the best. The star could be paper pieced, but I also really like the way the letter blocks are stacked, great depth. I can see where you will have lots of fun on this project. Your boat is wonderfully graphic and the sunset soft edge is great.

Kathy said...

Stardust and Bowl still tell too much of the story. Yreka leaves so much to the imagination, that it gets my vote!

Jenny K. Lyon said...

Snack bar!

Margaret said...

I too love the boat -- but am not really taken with any of the signs. I think they must be very challenging to crop, because our brains don't want us to leave out any of the lettering...so we focus on keeping that in the picture instead of cropping for shape. Just a thought...